Wealden District Council
You are using an unsupported version of Internet Explorer.
Parts of our website may display incorrectly or not work at all. Please consider downloading an up to date browser such as Chrome or Firefox.

Planning Service approach to Planning Requirements – Coronavirus (Covid 19) update

Getting advice from a planning officer before making your application is very worthwhile. It can help the process run more smoothly and quickly, while reducing the chances of submitting an invalid application.

Visit our planning Pre-Application advice pages for further information and to apply online.

Temporary structures may require Building Regulations approval. As part of our advice, we will advise if Buildings Regulations approval may be required, and we will supply details of how to apply where this is needed. Discussions with our Building Control Service are also free.

Businesses, organisations and individuals who want to sell or supply alcohol must have a licence, and you must make sure any additional public realm space is adequately licensed for the sale of alcohol. In some circumstances, a premise licence for entertainment will be required.

Our planning advice service does not cover licencing requirements.  It is possible that you can benefit when the temporary COVID-19 pavement license are introduced by Government at the end of July.  This is a streamlined and cheaper route for businesses such as cafes, restaurants and bars to secure a licence to place furniture on the highway. This will support you to operate safely while social distancing measures remain in place.

See more information on alcohol and entertainment licences.


The responsibility to carry out a COVID-19 risk assessment in line with HSE guidance remains with individual businesses to ensure they can trade safely and comply with the Government’s safe working and social distancing guidelines. There is more information online, see HSE guidance on working safely.

Any new structure creates new risks from both its form and function and these must be addressed.

If the structure is large or specially designed it may be regarded as a Temporary Demountable Structure (TDS).

We encourage all businesses to apply for the free ‘We’re Good to Go’ COVID-19 industry standard and consumer mark to confirm that your business adheres to Government and public health guidance.

All premises will have carried out a fire risk assessment. This will need to be reviewed and amended as appropriate to take account of changes implemented as part of your COVID-19 recovery.