Community support

Help for the vulnerable

I am considered as clinically extremely vulnerable and need help – how do I get this help?

The following is a list of people who are considered to be clinically extremely vulnerable.

  1. Solid organ transplant recipients.
  2. People with specific cancers:
    • people with cancer who are undergoing active chemotherapy or radical radiotherapy for lung cancer
    • people with cancers of the blood or bone marrow such as leukaemia, lymphoma or myeloma who are at any stage of treatment
    • people having immunotherapy or other continuing antibody treatments for cancer
    • people having other targeted cancer treatments which can affect the immune system, such as protein kinase inhibitors or PARP inhibitors
    • people who have had bone marrow or stem cell transplants in the last 6 months, or who are still taking immunosuppression drugs
  1. People with severe respiratory conditions including all cystic fibrosis, severe asthma and severe COPD.
  2. People with rare diseases and inborn errors of metabolism that significantly increase the risk of infections (such as SCID, homozygous sickle cell).
  3. People on immunosuppression therapies sufficient to significantly increase risk of infection.
  4. Women who are pregnant with significant heart disease, congenital or acquired.

If you are in this group of people you will receive a letter from the government urging you to stay at home for a period of 12 weeks.

If you are in this group and do not have a support network of family and friends to help you get essential supplies, you can register to get coronavirus support as a clinically extremely vulnerable person from the government or call 0800 0288327.

View further guidance on shielding and protecting people who are clinically extremely vulnerable from COVID-19.

Wealden Community Hub

I am, or I know someone who I think is vulnerable and needs help that is not available to be provided by family, friends, neighbours or carers – what do I do?

If they need help immediately with a health concern call 111 or 999 in an emergency.

Wealden District Council has set up a Covid-19 Community Hub for vulnerable people who need support to allow them to stay at home. These are people who are unable to receive essential supplies by online deliveries or through family, friends and neighbours.

If you are, or know someone who needs food, medical supplies or other support please register using our online form or call 01323 443322 and we will put you in contact with groups in the community and voluntary sector who can help.

An Isolation Pack for the over 70s has been produced by the Sussex Health and Care Partnership This contains a home environment checklist; useful contact details; tips for diabetics; and tips and hints about eating well.

Please note: There have been isolated reports of unsolicited callers saying they are from Wealden District Council offering to do your shopping. If you are in any doubt about who is calling you please hang up and ring our main number 01323 443322

Who else can I go for to help?

The best place to go for help is locally.  You can contact your local Town or Parish Council, who may be aware of many local community and voluntary groups who can provide support.  Many of Wealden’s town and parish councils are creating local key contacts, resources and information to help their local communities during the coronavirus outbreak.

Your town or parish contact details can be found here: WDC Town & Parish List and you may find lots of useful information on their website.

Download the Community Hub Leaflet (countywide)

Wealden’s communities are strong and resilient and we are here to help you access the support you require.


How do I register my interest in volunteering to help out in my community?

We have seen a lot of communities volunteering to offer to help their neighbours and support each other.

If you are interested in volunteering to help out in your community, then please complete a volunteering form via the 3VA website and someone will be in contact with you to match you up with a local organisation.

The NHS is calling for volunteer responders to help the extremely vulnerable, find out how you can get involved.

I am unable to volunteer, how else can I help?

The simplest thing everyone can do right now is look out for their neighbours and offer help with shopping and other errands if people cannot get out of the house. For more ways to get involved including donating items to a food or hygiene bank, signposting people to local support groups or donating money to national or local charities please visit the 3VA website .

East Sussex Community Hubs – Guidance for Staff and Volunteers

This guidance document is for staff working in Community Hubs in East Sussex, to support them with contacts with the public and appropriate onward signposting and referral.

Places of worship

The Government has published guidance for the safe use of places of worship during the pandemic