Wealden District Council does not offer a commercial waste collection service.
Under Part II of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 (external link), business owners have a duty to take all reasonable steps to manage waste safely if your business produces, imports, keeps, transports, treats or disposes of waste. This is called the ‘Duty of Care’. It applies to all businesses and failure to comply means you could be prosecuted and fined an unlimited amount. We want to help you make sure this doesn’t happen.
Businesses must ensure that:
- waste is contained in suitable containers so it cannot escape (either by falling out or blowing away) and stored securely against unauthorised removal
- anyone collecting your waste has a valid waste carrier’s license by checking the Environment Agency’s Public Register (external link). If you transfer waste to an unauthorised waste carrier and the waste is fly tipped you may be liable to prosecution
- a written description and transfer notes for the waste are kept as a record for 2 years
The Environment Agency and Wealden District Council are authorised to check if you are complying with the Duty of Care. This means an officer can come to your premises and ask to see your Waste Transfer Notes.
Commercial rates payable to the local authority do not include payment for trade waste collection and disposal.
Please note: It is an offence to put waste or recycling from a business into a household bin, or to take it to a Neighbourhood Recycling Point or Household Waste Recycling Site.
For comprehensive information and advice on trade waste, please visit Environment Agency (external link)
Private Waste Collection Companies and Agents
Below are the contact numbers for some of the private waste collection companies and agents which operate in the Wealden area.
Private Waste Collection Companies
- Biffa (external link)
- The Recycling Partnership (external link)
- Veolia (external link)
- JM Waste Management (external link)
Waste Collection Agents
Please note Wealden District Council does not endorse or recommend any of the companies listed above and there might be other providers offering this service.