Wealden District Council
You are using an unsupported version of Internet Explorer.
Parts of our website may display incorrectly or not work at all. Please consider downloading an up to date browser such as Chrome or Firefox.

Trade Waste

Wealden District Council does not offer a commercial waste collection service.

Under Part II of the Environmental Protection Act 1990, business owners have a duty to take all reasonable steps to manage waste safely if your business produces, imports, keeps, transports, treats or disposes of waste. This is called the ‘Duty of Care’. It applies to all businesses and failure to comply means you could be prosecuted and fined an unlimited amount. We want to help you make sure this doesn’t happen.

Businesses must ensure that:

  • waste is contained in suitable containers so it cannot escape (either by falling out or blowing away) and stored securely against unauthorised removal
  • anyone collecting your waste has a valid waste carrier’s license by checking the Environment Agency’s Public Register . If you transfer waste to an unauthorised waste carrier and the waste is fly tipped you may be liable to prosecution
  • a written description and transfer notes for the waste are kept as a record for 2 years

The Environment Agency and Wealden District Council are authorised to check if you are complying with the Duty of Care. This means an officer can come to your premises and ask to see your Waste Transfer Notes.
Commercial rates payable to the local authority do not include payment for trade waste collection and disposal.

Please note: It is an offence to put waste or recycling from a business into a household bin, or to take it to a Neighbourhood Recycling Point or Household Waste Recycling Site.

For comprehensive information and advice on trade waste, please visit Environment Agency 

Private Waste Collection Companies and Agents

Below are the contact numbers for some of the private waste collection companies and agents which operate in the Wealden area.

General Waste and Recycling

Food Waste

Cooking Oil

Please note Wealden District Council does not endorse or recommend any of the companies listed above and there might be other providers offering this service.