Over 66% of our council taxpayers and business ratepayers currently settle their bills by direct debit which is a convenient and inexpensive method.
What are the advantages to you by paying by direct debit?
- Choice of three payment dates, 1st, 15th, 25th.
- No worries about remembering to pay at the right time.
- No need to write out and post cheques.
- No queuing to pay at your bank or building society.
- Possible reduction in bank charges.
What guarantees does the Council offer you?
- No payments will be taken until you have been given 10 days notice of the amounts and due dates, so that you have time to query the bill if necessary.
- If ourselves or your bank or building society make an error, you are guaranteed a full and immediate refund from your branch of the amount paid.
- You can cancel a Direct Debit at any time by writing to or emailing the Council your bank or building society.
Setting up a Direct Debit
By phone or email
Please contact council tax or business rates using the contact details below.
In order for us to register your details electronically with your bank or building society, your account reference and bank or building society details will be required. Written confirmation of the instalment amounts and due dates and the details that we have registered with your bank or building society will be sent to you.
If you do not wish to apply by telephone or email you can download a direct debit form (pdf) . You will need to complete and return the form to the Council using the address on the form.
Further direct debit information visit the BACS Direct Debit website (external link)