Wealden District Council
You are using an unsupported version of Internet Explorer.
Parts of our website may display incorrectly or not work at all. Please consider downloading an up to date browser such as Chrome or Firefox.

Council Tax FAQs Listing

Welcome to Council Tax Frequently Asked Questions.  You can use the search to look for specific terms within all questions and answers, or use the links in the list below to view all questions and answers in each category:

Appealing your council tax band – My neighbour is in a different band to me.

If you want to appeal against the band that has been given to your property, you will need to contact the Valuation Office Agency directly. Wealden District Council doesn’t decide what band a property should be in. We can’t decide to change a band and we are not allowed to appeal on your behalf.

Lots of information about council tax bands and valuations can be found on the Valuation Office Agency website (external link).

The address and telephone number of the office that deals with the Wealden area is:

Council Tax South

Valuation Office Agency
Second Floor
1 Francis Grove
SW19 4DT

Telephone: 03000 501501

E mail ctsouth@voa.gsi.gov.uk

The Listing Officer does have a duty to make sure all the bands are correct and will check to make sure that a mistake hasn’t been made. But if you are considering an appeal, you must make it within the first six months from when you become the Council tax payer for your home.

Please bear in mind that the band your home is in, represents its value as at 1st April 1991 and not its current value. Even if it’s a brand new home it will have been valued at 1991 values.

What is a council tax band?

The Listing Officer at the Valuation Office Agency places each domestic property into one of eight bands, bands A to H. The band that a property goes into depends on its market value as of 1st April 1991. We use your council tax band to work out how much council tax you pay.