The Council has 45 District Councillors elected in 41 Wards. There are also 35 Parish Councils, 4 Town Councils and 3 Parish Meetings within the District and 14 County Councillors. The District is divided into four Parliamentary constituencies and is part of the South East Region for the European Parliament.
Elections are held every four years for all seats, the next Election is May 2023.
Political Composition of the Council
- Conservatives – 28
- Liberal Democrats – 6
- Independent Democrats – 4
- Green Party – 4
- The Independent Group – 3
The Conservative Group has overall control of the Council.
- Chairman of the Council – Councillor Ron Reed (Conservative)
- Vice-Chairman of the Council – Councillor Angela Snell (Conservative)
- Leader of the Council and the Conservative Group – Councillor Ann Newton
- Leader of the Independent Democrat Group – Councillor Stephen Shing
- Leader of the Liberal Democrats – Councillor Paul Sparks
- Leader of the Green Party – Councillor Dr Patricia Patterson-Vanegas
- Leader of the Independent Group – Councillor David White
The Chairman, Vice-Chairman and Leader of the Council are appointed on an yearly basis at the Annual Meeting of the Council usually held in May.