Wealden District Council
You are using an unsupported version of Internet Explorer.
Parts of our website may display incorrectly or not work at all. Please consider downloading an up to date browser such as Chrome or Firefox.

Premises Safety

When you are starting your food business, you need to make sure the electrical and gas supplies to a building are safe. Ask the vendor or landlord to give you a copy of the latest test certificate. Gas systems should be tested every 12 months, electrical systems every 5 years. For more information on electrical safety please visit HSE Electrical Safety (external link)

Commercial properties should be surveyed for the presence of asbestos. Vendors and landlords should have a certificate to confirm this and arrangements to manage any asbestos present so it does not pose a risk to health. The presence of asbestos does not automatically mean the premises are dangerous. For more information on asbestos please visit  HSE Asbestos Management (external link)

If you have any concerns or questions about a premises you can always seek help from an architect or chartered surveyor, for example.