Always follow the firework code
Last year in the UK in a 4 week period around the 5th November 991 people were injured as result of fireworks. 281 of these were under 13 years old. Eyes were the most commonly injured part of the body, followed by hands and face.
Rockets, Roman candles and sparklers remain the most common cause of injury.
The Firework Safety Code …
- Only buy fireworks with a CE mark.
- Don’t drink alcohol if setting off fireworks
- Keep fireworks in a closed box
- Follow the instructions on each firework
- Light at arm’s length, using a taper
- Stand well back
- Never go near a firework that has been lit. Even if it hasn’t gone off, it could still explode
- Never put fireworks in your pocket or throw them
- Always supervise children around fireworks
- Light sparklers one at a time and wear gloves
- Never give sparklers to a child under five
- Keep pets indoors
- Don’t let off noisy fireworks after 11pm