Wealden District Council
You are using an unsupported version of Internet Explorer.
Parts of our website may display incorrectly or not work at all. Please consider downloading an up to date browser such as Chrome or Firefox.

Giving Up Your Council Tenancy

How do I end my Tenancy?

Before completing our online form to end your tenancy please ensure you have read the details below:

  • You must give at least four clear weeks’ notice in writing. If you give notice mid week, the first day of notice would be the Sunday following the date of your correspondence.  All tenancies end on a Sunday.

Inspection of Property

  • An appointment will be arranged for the Housing Officer to inspect your property and advise you of anything which will need to be carried out prior to moving out of your property.  
  • You are responsible for removing all your personal items from the property including any carpets and rubbish. We accept no responsibility for any items left behind and will charge you for the cost of removal.
  • The property (including the garden and loft area) must be left empty, in good condition and repair.
  • The property will be also be inspected after you leave. If your misuse or neglect has damaged the property we will charge you the cost of repair or cleaning.

Returning Keys

  • If you hand your keys in without giving written notice you are liable to be charged rent for a notice period of four weeks.
  • All keys to the property must be returned to the Housing Department by 12 noon on the Monday – the day following the last day of your tenancy. You must give the Council vacant possession. If all keys are not returned by this time you can be charged additional rent.  This amount will depend on how late the keys come back, but all tenancies come to an end on Sundays and full rental charges for the week would apply, even if the keys were handed back midweek.
  • If you do not return the keys to the property after the tenancy end date we will charge you for changing the locks.

What else do you need to do?

  • You will need to ensure that your rent account is up to date.
  • You will need to let the service companies – gas, water, electricity, telephone etc know that you are moving and to give a final meter reading. Otherwise you will continue to be charged for the services after you have left.
  • You must inform the Council Tax department and Housing Benefit services that you are moving.
  • Checklist for moving.