Wealden District Council
You are using an unsupported version of Internet Explorer.
Parts of our website may display incorrectly or not work at all. Please consider downloading an up to date browser such as Chrome or Firefox.

Duty to Refer

Duty to refer – Public Bodies

This duty under the Homelessness Reduction Act 2017 requires public bodies to refer customers who are homeless or considered to be at risk of homelessness within 56 days, to the local authority housing teams for assistance.

The agencies subject to the new duty are:

  • prisons;
  • youth offender institutions;
  • secure training centres;
  • secure colleges;
  • youth offending teams;
  • probation services (including community rehabilitation companies);
  • Jobcentre Plus;
  • social service authorities;
  • emergency health¬†departments;
  • urgent treatment centres; and,
  • hospitals in their function of providing inpatient care
  • the Secretary of State for defence in relation to members of the regular forces (Royal navy, Royal Marines, Army and Royal Air Force)

Other agencies may wish to make referrals into the housing options service in Wealden, who are not on the list of statutory public bodies.  Wealden District Council will accept referrals from any agency who identifies a person or household who is homeless or at risk of homelessness.

To make a referral, agencies must:-

1) Complete the referral form

2) Housing Options will acknowledge the referral and advise the supporting information that is required to process the referral

3) The referring agency will email supporting information within 24 hours of receipt of acknowledgement, to dutytorefer@wealden.gov.uk

Supplementary information required will depend on the agency referring but should include where applicable:-

  • Risk assessments
  • Adult Social Care Assessment
  • SCARFs
  • Domestic Abuse Stalking & Harassment Form (DASH)
  • Child Arrangement orders
  • Guardianship orders
  • Residency Orders
  • Family Assessments
  • Support plans
  • Child protection plans
  • Discharge plans
  • Mental Health Act (orders)
  • Care / Support Plan

Please note referrals can only be processed via the online referral form