Wealden District Council
You are using an unsupported version of Internet Explorer.
Parts of our website may display incorrectly or not work at all. Please consider downloading an up to date browser such as Chrome or Firefox.

Housing Options, Advice and Assistance

Housing Options

The Housing Options available to you will depend upon your personal circumstances and may include the following:

Affordable Home Ownership

The Council works with Registered Providers (housing associations) to provide access to low cost home ownership for those that do not have the finances to purchase a home of their own outright.  Further details on the latest government-backed schemes for help on to the property ladder

Private Rented Sector

The private rented sector is growing in Wealden. Because of the shortage of social housing in the district, private rented accommodation  is the option the majority of applicants looking for housing will be directed to.

Social housing – New or transferring tenants

Here you can find out more about applying for social housing and apply to join the housing register.  There is also specific information on  Housing Options for Older People.

If you are an existing council or housing association tenant and need to move you can apply to for a transfer (this is the same process as applying for social housing). If you are a council tenant and are downsizing you may qualify for financial assistance through our Transfer Incentive Scheme.

If you would like to exchange your home with another tenant you can find something suitable through the following websites:

Housing Advice

Advice for Specific client groups

This includes advice for rough sleepers, gypsies and travellers and those leaving care, prisons, youth detention or hospital. As well as for those with mental health issues or suffering domestic abuse and former members of the armed forces.

Mortgage Arrears Advice and Repossessions

If your mortgage is becoming unmanageable you should act quickly to contact your lender, seek debt advice and also contact the Housing Options Team at Wealden District Council.

Private Rented Accommodation

Do you need assistance with tenancy issues?

The Council offer a free service to private tenants, landlords and letting/estate agents to help with tenancy sustainment.

We can help with:

  • breakdown of communication
  • section 21 notices
  • landlord and tenant rights
  • rent arrears
  • condition of property
  • support needs
  • antisocial behaviour

and much more.

Our Tenancy Sustainment Officer will work with both parties to explore the options to resolve the issue/s being experienced and to prevent homelessness.

We can also help you:

  • find private rented accommodation

To find out more about either of these services contact us at housingoptions@wealden.gov.uk

Different Types of Tenancy Explained

Here you will find information on the different types of tenancies offered by different landlords.

Housing Options Newsletters

Our newsletters are sent twice a year to all housing applicants via email. If you would like a copy please email us housingoptions@wealden.gov.uk