Wealden District Council
You are using an unsupported version of Internet Explorer.
Parts of our website may display incorrectly or not work at all. Please consider downloading an up to date browser such as Chrome or Firefox.

Information For Private Tenants

This page provides information and advice for Tenants renting in the private sector.

Do you need assistance with tenancy issues?

The Council offer a free service to private tenants, landlords and letting/estate agents to help with tenancy sustainment.

We can help with:

  • breakdown of communication
  • section 21 notices
  • landlord and tenant rights
  • rent arrears
  • condition of property
  • support needs
  • antisocial behaviour

and much more.

Our Tenancy Sustainment Officer will work with both parties to explore the options to resolve the issue/s being experienced and to prevent homelessness. To find out more about either of these services contact us at housingoptions@wealden.gov.uk

Housing ‘how to’ guide

The Ministry of Housing Communities and Local Government have produced new guides for people who are about to rent a house or flat. Most of it will equally apply if you are in a shared property but in certain cases your rights and responsibilities will vary.

Gas Safety For Tenants

Advice on gas safety in tenanted properties and advice on a landlord duties to provide safe gas installations for heating, hot water and cooking.

Electrical Safety for Tenants and Landlords

Information and advice on electrical safety and what minimum stands are.

Private Rented Housing Standards

Advice for tenants on the Housing Health and Safety Rating System.