Wealden District Council
You are using an unsupported version of Internet Explorer.
Parts of our website may display incorrectly or not work at all. Please consider downloading an up to date browser such as Chrome or Firefox.

Home Improvement Loan

Wealden District
Council works in partnership with a socially responsible third party loan
provider and 15 other local authorities in the southern area to administer a
small fund for housing improvement loans on behalf of the Council. Availability
and accessibility of loans is strictly administered by the Council and the loan

Who can apply for a loan?

The applicant must:

  • Be aged 18 years or more.
  • Live in the dwelling as their only or main residence.
  • Be an owner, or leaseholder with at least 5 years to expiry of the lease or have an exclusive right of occupation for at least five years.
  • Be a tenant (for disabled adaptation works only).
  • Have a duty, power or permission to carry out the works.

Who will qualify?

Priority for loans will be given to elderly (over 60 years old) or vulnerable applicants or those proven in financial hardship and unable to access a commercial loan. Vulnerable applicants, or their partner, would generally be in receipt of one of the following benefits:

  • Income Support.
  • Council Tax Reduction.
  • Working Tax Credit with an annual income of less than £15,050 (subject to change).
  • Child Tax Credit with an annual income of less than £15,050 (subject to change).
  • Universal Credit (this includes any amount of Universal Credit which is being introduced from 2013 onwards as a replacement for working age benefits and tax credits).
  • Guarantee Pension Credit.
  • Income-Based Jobseeker’s Allowance.
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance.
  • Disability Living Allowance.
  • Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit.
  • War Disablement Pension.

The property has to be traditionally constructed and built or converted 10 years before application date. The loan is not available to mobile homes.

What can the loan cover?

Loans can be used to assist applicants needing the following type of help:

  1. Meeting the financial contribution to a Mandatory Disabled Facilities Grant as determined by the Housing Renewal Grants Regulations 1996 (as amended).
  2. Topping up a Mandatory Disabled Facilities Grant where the grant does not cover all the adaptation costs.
  3. Assisting someone move house, where the home cannot be adapted or is not suitable for their long term disability needs.
  4. Energy efficiency/renewable energy improvements.
  5. Any works deemed necessary to bring the dwelling up to the Decent Home Standard or move the dwelling towards decency. The definition of a Decent Home is taken from the Government documentation – A Decent Home – Definition and guidance for implementation, CLG June 2006 – update. 

Are there conditions attached to the loan?

The loan will be administered by the Council’s approved third party loan provider. The loan terms and conditions will be in accordance with the loan product as agreed with the loan provider Parity Trust.

How much assistance am I entitled to?

Loans are available for between £1,000 and £25,000 and offered at a subsidised interest rate.

Further Information

For further information or advice contact the Private Housing Team on 01323 443321 or email privatehousing@wealden.gov.uk