Camp Sites

A licence is required from the local authority if a camp site is used for more than 42 consecutive days or for more than 60 days in any consecutive 12 months.

Camping Site Licences are issued under the Public Health Act 1936 and conditions are attached.

It should be noted that the use of the land for a camping site for more than 28 days in total of any calendar year will give rise to the need to obtain planning permission.

Regulation Summary

Summary of Caravan Site Licensing (external link) has been produced by the National Archives, and this includes information on camp sites.

Tacit Consent

Tacit consent does not apply to Camping Site Licences.

It is in the public interest that we process your application before it can be granted.

If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us. You can do this online if you applied the website or use the contact details below.

How to Apply

You can apply for an Camping Site Licence in two ways:

Failed Application Redress

Please contact us in the first instance.

Any applicant who is refused a licence can appeal to their local Magistrates’ court.

Licence Holder Redress

Please contact us in the first instance.

Any licence holder who wishes to appeal against a condition attached to their licence can appeal to their local Magistrates’ court.

Consumer Complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you – preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked can offer advice on Consumer Protection Rights (external link)

Trade Associations

You may find the following organisations useful:

British Holiday & Home Parks Association (BH&HPA) (external link)

British Resorts and Destinations Association (external link)

Caravan Industry Training (external link)

Federation of Tour Operators (external link)

Group Travel Organisers Association (external link)

Hotel Marketing Association (external link)

National Caravan Council (external link)