Wealden District Council
You are using an unsupported version of Internet Explorer.
Parts of our website may display incorrectly or not work at all. Please consider downloading an up to date browser such as Chrome or Firefox.

Caravan and Touring

If you wish to use an area of land as a caravan site you must obtain a site licence under the Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960.

Caravan and Touring Licenses are issued by the Environmental Health Team.

There is no fee for this licence, but the site will normally also require planning permission.

Licence Summary

Conditions are attached to sites licences including:

  • Restricting when caravans can be on the site for human habitation or restricting the number of caravans that can be on the site at any one time.
  • Controlling the types of caravans on the site.
  • Controlling the positioning of the caravans or regulating the use of other structures and vehicles including tents.
  • Fire safety and fire fighting controls.
  • To ensure that sanitary and other facilities, services and equipment are supplied and maintained.

There are some exemptions from the requirement of licensing:

  • A caravan sited within the curtilage of a dwelling and its use is incidental to the dwelling. This means it cannot be occupied separately.
  • A single caravan sited for not more than two consecutive nights for a maximum of 28 days in any 12 months.
  • Up to three caravans on a site of not less than five acres for a maximum of 28 days in any 12 months.
  • Sites occupied by exempted organisations such as the Caravan Club.
  • Sites of up to five caravans certified by an exempt organisation and which are for members only.
  • Sites occupied by the local authority.
  • Sites for temporary and special purposes such as caravan rallies, agricultural and forestry workers, building and engineering sites and travelling salesmen.

Licences have a number of conditions that are dependant on the type of site e.g. touring caravan parks, residential parks or seasonal holiday home parks. We have produced our own Standard Conditions for Static Caravan Sites  and Standard Conditions for Touring Sites 

Licences are transferable to a new occupier. The occupier should send the licence with a request for transfer and proof of ownership, a new licence will then be issued.

Regulation Summary

Summary of Caravan Site Licensing  has been produced by the National Archives.

Tacit Consent

Tacit consent does not apply to Caravan and Touring Site Licences.

It is in the public interest that we process your application before it can be granted.

If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us. You can do this online if you applied the gov.uk website or use the contact details below.

How to Apply

You can apply for an Caravan and Touring Site Licence in two ways:

Failed Application Redress

Please contact us in the first instance.

Any applicant who is refused a licence can appeal to their local Magistrates’ court.

Licence Holder Redress

Please contact us in the first instance.

Any licence holder who wishes to appeal against a condition attached to their licence can appeal to their local Magistrates’ court.

Consumer Complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you – preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked gov.uk can offer advice on Consumer Protection Rights 

Trade Associations

You may find the following organisations useful: