Wealden District Council
You are using an unsupported version of Internet Explorer.
Parts of our website may display incorrectly or not work at all. Please consider downloading an up to date browser such as Chrome or Firefox.


It is an offence under the Environmental Protection Act 1990 for industrial, trade or business premises to cause a statutory nuisance to the inhabitants of the neighbourhood by generating dust.

To be considered a statutory nuisance, the dust would have to be a regular problem and interfering substantially with the well-being, comfort or enjoyment of property.

We are unable to deal with dust from domestic properties as we do not have legislation that provides for this.

If you are experiencing dust problems from a neighbouring domestic property we recommend speaking to the owner. If this is not successful or where individuals are not approachable, think about writing to them and if this does not work, then why not try contacting the free mediation service we partner with who can assist you in communicating with neighbour. Please read their privacy notice.

We recommend phoning them on 01323 442 781 to discuss their services before you report the problem to us.

If you are experiencing problems from your neighbour and either of you are privately renting or social housing tenants, the issues should be reported to your landlord first.

Please use the reporting form to see what we can help with and for advice on who else can help. Please note, anonymous complaints cannot be processed.

Report dust