Wealden District Council
You are using an unsupported version of Internet Explorer.
Parts of our website may display incorrectly or not work at all. Please consider downloading an up to date browser such as Chrome or Firefox.

Neighbourhood problems

Annoyances and disturbances such as noise, smoke or odour can spoil our enjoyment of our immediate surroundings.

We always advise residents experiencing some kind of disturbance to try and talk to the person causing the disturbance directly; in most cases they have no idea they are causing a problem and promptly stop. Most people try to solve problems that occur with neighbours directly and this is the fastest and most successful way of resolving problems.

We have powers to intervene if a disturbance becomes a Statutory Nuisance or is being caused by ant-social behaviour. Statutory Nuisance is a legal definition under the Environmental Protection Act 1990 and whether a disturbance is bad enough to be considered a Statutory Nuisance will depend on the frequency, duration and character of the problem and how it affects the average person living in their home. Proving a Statutory Nuisance can therefore be a lengthy process and does require substantial evidence. This means we are rarely able to take formal action and is why we encourage people to resolve disputes informally.


You can report recurring noise from residential or commercial properties here.


You can report nuisance from residential or commercial bonfires here.


You can report odour nuisance from an industrial, trade or business premises here.


You can report nuisance from artificial light entering your property or garden here.

Infestations and pests

You can report an infestation or rats entering your property from another site as a result of another’s activities here.

Waste and problem properties

You can report a complaint about a problem property here.

Water and drains

The responsibility for sewers and drains is split between Southern Water, East Sussex County County and ourselves. You can request advice or report a complaint about a cesspit or septic tank here.

Invasive weeds

You can report complaints about invasive weeds on council land here.


It is an offence under the Environmental Protection Act 1990 for industrial, trade or business premises to cause a statutory nuisance to the inhabitants of the neighbourhood by generating dust. You can report a complaint about dust here.