Invasive weeds

Please note that the Council are not responsible for weeds or invasive plants unless they are on Council land. We do not provide a service for the identification of weeds, this must be carried out by a professional.

Natural England has advice on invasive weeds and DEFRA investigates matters which may be an offence under the Weeds Act 1959.

The Council may be able to investigate invasive weeds under certain circumstances. Please use the reporting form to see what we can help with and for advice on who else can help. Please note, anonymous complaints cannot be processed.

Before reporting potential invasive weeds in a neighbouring property we recommend speaking to the owner and seeking the services of a professional.

If this is not successful or where individuals are not approachable, we work with a free mediation service who can assist you in communicating with your neighbour. We recommend phoning them on 01323 442 781 to discuss their services before you report the problem to us.

You can also take your own action through the magistrate’s court.

Report invasive weeds