Wealden District Council
You are using an unsupported version of Internet Explorer.
Parts of our website may display incorrectly or not work at all. Please consider downloading an up to date browser such as Chrome or Firefox.

Burning trade waste

With exemptions, all waste generated on a construction site must be taken away by a licensed waste carrier and disposed of (treated) at a licensed waste treatment site.

The Environment Agency (external link)┬álicense waste carriers and waste treatment sites so if you think someone is carrying waste without a licence, or depositing/burning waste on a site which is not licensed, then please visit the Environment Agency’s website to Report an Environmental Incident (external link)


Waste can be burnt on construction sites if the contractors have a D7 exemption from the Environment Agency and it is untreated wood. This may include wood such as:

  • Garden and tree cuttings
  • Very old wood affected by woodworm or rot
  • Pallets constructed with untreated wood

No painted, preserved, varnished or wood treated in anyway, should be burnt.

There are rules associated with a D7 exemption which must be followed. It is an offence for dark smoke to be emitted from any industrial and trade premises.

If you are experiencing problems due to smoke from the burning of waste please contact us.