We aim to:
- Safeguard the health, safety and welfare of employees
- Protect the public from harm arising from work activities
- Provide businesses, employees and the public with a trusted source of advice and information.
We do this by:
- Inspecting businesses – our officers assess workplaces to ensure they comply with the law to provide safe and healthy working conditions. This is done mainly by unannounced inspections and project work. For example, this year we visited all our premises that allow animal petting to protect children and the public from the risk of E. coli.
- Investigating workplace accidents – we mainly deal with accidents and incidents that cause serious injury or health problems to staff or members of the public.
- Investigating serious complaints – this includes poor working conditions such as a lack of heating or toilets, dangerous equipment or practices, and health issues such as back strain, noise and stress
We share these duties with the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), depending on the nature of the business.
For more information on how we deal with complaints relating to health and safety, please visit our Food and Health and Safety Complaint Investigation Policy page.
Telephone 0845 3009923 or complete a report form online at Incident contact centre.
Find out how many businesses we have inspected in the past three years and how many complaints and accidents we have investigated.