Wealden District Council
You are using an unsupported version of Internet Explorer.
Parts of our website may display incorrectly or not work at all. Please consider downloading an up to date browser such as Chrome or Firefox.

Animal Licensing

The Licensing Team license a variety of activities involving animals to ensure specified standards and conditions are being adhered to.
Activities involving animals are licensed under the following legislation:

The Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals) (England) Regulations 2018

Activities licensable under this legislation include:

Dangerous Wild Animal Act 1976

A licence is required for anybody wishing to keep a Dangerous Wild Animal. The only time a licence is not required is if the animal is kept in a zoo, circus or pet shop.

Zoo Licensing Act 1981

To run a zoo in England, Scotland and Wales you need a licence from the local authority

Animal Licensing Register

View details of licensed animal premises in Wealden.


In 2016 the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health (CIEH) issued the following statement pertinent to vaccination requirements in the Licensing of Animal Boarding Establishments:
“An up-to-date veterinary vaccination record must be seen to ensure that dogs boarded have current vaccinations against canine parvovirus, canine distemper, infectious canine hepatitis (adenovirus) and, leptospirosis. The date of the most recent vaccination must be recorded preferably with a valid until date.” Sct E5.2 CIEH Model Licence Conditions.
Certification from a veterinary surgeon of a recent protective titre test may be accepted in individual cases as evidence of protection against adenovirus, distemper and parvovirus.
The certificate must state that it is valid for the period of stay at the kennels. The interpretation of ‘individual cases’ will be undertaken by the responsible person but the (CIEH) statement concludes with the direction:
It is the decision of the kennel proprietor whether to accept such a certificate.”