Wealden District Council
You are using an unsupported version of Internet Explorer.
Parts of our website may display incorrectly or not work at all. Please consider downloading an up to date browser such as Chrome or Firefox.

Environmental Permitting

We issue permits which specify requirements to control pollution from certain industrial processes. The Environment Agency issues similar permits for larger processes such as power stations and large metal foundries.

We are responsible for Local Authority Integrated Pollution Prevention and Control (LA IPPC). This covers:

1) Installations known as A2 installations (referred to as A(2) in the PPC Regulations)
2) Local authority Pollution Prevention and Control (LAPPC), which covers installations known as Part B installations.

Licence summary

You must have an Environmental Permit if you operate a regulated facility in England or Wales.

A regulated facility includes:

  • Installations or mobile plants carrying out listed activities
  • Waste operations
  • Waste mobile plant
  • Mining waste operations

Listed activities include:

  • Energy – burning fuel, gasification, liquification and refining activities
  • Metals – manufacturing and processing metals
  • Minerals – manufacturing lime, cement, ceramics or glass
  • Chemicals – manufacturing chemicals, pharmaceuticals or explosives, storing chemicals in bulk
  • Waste – incinerating waste, operating landfills, recovering waste
  • Solvents – using solvents
  • Other – manufacturing paper, pulp and board, treating timber products, coating, treating textiles and printing, manufacturing new tyres, intensive pig and poultry farming

Listed activities are divided into three categories: Part A(1), Part A(2) and Part B.

Part A

Part A permits control activities with a range of environmental impacts, including:

  • Emissions to air, land and water
  • Energy efficiency
  • Waste reduction
  • Raw materials consumption
  • Noise, vibration and heat
  • Accident prevention

Part B

Part B permits control activities which cause emissions to air.

The permit your business requires depends on the specific processes involved and resulting emissions.

Permits are available from the Environment Agency or your Local Authority (the regulator) depending upon the category your business falls within:

  • Part A(1) installations or mobile plants are regulated by the Environment Agency
  • Part A(2) and Part B installations or mobile plants are regulated by the Local Authority, except waste operations carried out at Part B installations which are regulated by the Environment Agency
  • Waste operations or waste mobile plant carried on other than at an installation, or by Part A or Part B mobile plants, are regulated by the Environment Agency
  • Mining waste operations are regulated by the Environment Agency

Regulation summary

Summary of Environmental Permitting has been produced by gov.uk.

Eligibility criteria

Applications must be made on the form provided by the regulator, or online and must include specified information which will vary depending on the operation.

A fee may be payable and will also vary depending on the operation. A list of fees can be found Environmental Permit: How to Apply 

If further information is required the applicant will be notified by the regulator and they must provide this information or the application will be deemed to be withdrawn.

The application must be from the operator of the regulated facility.

For waste operations no Licence will be granted unless any required planning permission had first been granted.

Application evaluation process

The regulator will pay regard to the protection of the environment taken as a whole by, in particular, preventing or, where that is not practicable, reducing emissions into the air, water and land.

The regulator may inform the public of the application and must consider any representations.

The application must be from the operator of the regulated facility and the regulator must be satisfied that they must operate the facility in accordance with the Environmental Permit.

Tacit Consent

Tacit Consent does not apply to Environmental Permitting.

It is in the public interest that we process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us.

How to apply

You can apply for an Environmental Permit in two ways:

To help you with your application, gov.uk have also produced a set of LAPPC Guidance Notes

Current environmental permit (PPC) applications

Details of current environmental permit (PPC) applications can be found on this page.

Failed application redress

Please contact us in the first instance.

An applicant who is refused an Environmental Permit may appeal to the appropriate authority. In England the appropriate authority is the Secretary of State and in Wales are the Welsh Ministers.

Appeals must be lodged no later than six months from the date of the decision.

Licence holder redress

Please contact us in the first instance.

If an application to vary, transfer or surrender an Environmental Permit has been refused or if the applicant objects to conditions imposed on the environmental permit they may appeal to the appropriate authority.

Appeals must be lodged in relation to a regulator initiated variation, a Suspension Notice or an Enforcement Notice, not later than two months from the date of the variation or Notice and in any other case not later than six months from the date of the decision.

Consumer complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you – preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked Gov.uk can offer advice on Consumer Protection Rights.

Other redress

Compensation maybe payable in relation to conditions affecting certain interests in land.

Trade associations

You may find the following organisations useful: