When your Dual Driver Licence is due for renewal we will contact you. This is normally 2 to 3 months before the expiry date.
Each time you renew your licence you will need to:
- We will send you a renewal form to complete but you can also download our Dual Driver Renewal Form
- Contact your doctor’s surgery to arrange a new Dual Driver Medical Report Form to be completed.
- Book a renewal appointment by calling 01424 787550.
- Apply for a new DBS Enhanced Disclosure. See below for more details.
- Complete a DVLA mandate and print out
- A passport sized photograph
- Bring the correct supporting documentation (Proof of ID, address and Right to Work in the UK)
- Make a Payment
- You will need to make a payment on the Rother online payment system if you are applying for a new DBS.
- Details of any criminal and motoring offences/cautions/convictions (including spent convictions) and any pending prosecutions
- From 4th April 2022 dual driver renewals will also need to perform a tax check. Our tax conditionality for dual driver and private hire operators page has further information about this.
The above forms and information is currently given to you in your renewal letter.
Obtain a new DBS disclosure
We advise that you sign up with the DBS update service, information can be found at DBS Update Service website and must be done within 19 days of receiving your Disclosure certificate.
If you have signed up to the DBS Update Service you will need to present your original Disclosure certificate as part of the renewal process.
If you have not signed up to the DBS Update Service or have lost your certificate you must telephone the Disclosure and Barring Service on 03000 200190 and request an application for Enhanced Disclosure, quoting our organisational reference name, which is Wealden & Rother District Councils and reference number, which is 20969500002 .
You will be sent an application form within 10 days which you must complete and bring with you to your appointment with a Licensing Officer.
Booking an Appointment
To make an appointment to see a Licensing Officer at the Town Hall in Bexhill, please telephone 01424 787550. If you have not previously signed up for the DBS Update Service, this must take place as soon as you receive your renewal letter and no later than 8 weeks before you licence expires.
If you need to obtain a new DBS Disclosure you will also need to pay for this. DBS Disclosure payments need to be made to Rother District Council and you can do so by visiting the Rother Online Payment System.
If you have signed up for DBS Update, the appointment can be delayed for up to 4 weeks before expiry.
You should start making your arrangements to renew as soon as you receive your letter as you will not be allowed to work if you do not receive your renewed badge and paper licence before your current licence expires.
We accept these supporting documents:
- Current Passport or, if you do not have a valid passport, a UK birth certificate
- Proof of a right to reside and a right to work in the UK, if you cannot provide either of the above.
- DVLA driving licence (valid photo card)
- A Council tax statement not more than 12 months old, or household utility bill not more than 3 months old (NB a bill for a mobile phone will not be accepted).
It is your responsibility, not the Council’s, to renew your Licence and if you fail to do so before the its expiry then any application will be treated as a new application and you will not be permitted to drive until that application has been determined (approximately 8/ 12 weeks). You will also have to pass the Practical Driving Assessment Test and Knowledge Test, if you have not already done so, and to meet all other licensing criteria.
Incomplete applications or applications not accompanied by the required fee will not be accepted.
Applications which are withdrawn for any reason will be subject to an administrative handling fee.