Wealden District Council
You are using an unsupported version of Internet Explorer.
Parts of our website may display incorrectly or not work at all. Please consider downloading an up to date browser such as Chrome or Firefox.

Vehicle Licences

There are two different types of “taxi”, Hackney Carriage or Private Hire.

The main difference between the two is that Hackney Carriages can “ply for hire” and use taxi ranks, whilst Private Hire Vehicles, which can only be booked in advance, may not.

Please refer to the Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Policy and Guidance document for full vehicle licensing details. Please speak to a licensing officer before purchasing a vehicle if you are not sure if it will comply with our requirements.

Hackney Carriages:

  • Can pick customers up in the street or from a taxi rank in the Wealden area
  • Can be pre-booked without the need for an additional Operator’s Licence
  • Must display an approved roof sign, be fitted with a sealed calendar meter, and carry a white licence plate on the rear of the vehicle, together with white door badges on the rear doors.

Private Hire Vehicles:

  • Can only be pre-booked through an Operator licensed by Wealden District Council
  • Cannot display a roof sign, but must carry a yellow licence plate on the rear of the vehicle, together with yellow door badges on the rear doors
  • Executive vehicles may be exempt from displaying plates at the Council’s discretion. Yellow licence plates will still be issued and must be carried inside the vehicle at all times, along with the Exemption Certificate.

All Vehicle Licenses last for one year and once licensed remain a licensed vehicle irrespective of whether it is working or not. The vehicle licence plates must not be removed and it can only be driven by a driver licensed by this Council.

Apply for a Vehicle Licence

If you are sure your vehicle is suitable then you may make an application and our page explains the application process and eligibility criteria.

Renew a Vehicle Licence

Vehicle licences are valid for one year so renewing on time is crucial.

Make a Hackney Carriage or Private Hire Vehicle Payment

You can make all of your vehicle licence payments online. If you would like to view the fees before making payment please visit our Taxi Licensing Fees page.

CCTV in licensed vehicles

If you want to install CCTV in your vehicle you can find detail or what types are accepted and how to install this.