Before purchasing a vehicle you should check that it meets the requirements set out in the Hackney Carriage and Private Hire handbook.
- Have four doors of a size to permit easy access
- Be able to permit the specified number of passengers to be carried in comfort and safety
- Be in ‘pristine’ condition (exterior and interior) and maintained in such a condition
- Provide adequate luggage space within secure compartment for the number of passengers for which the vehicle is licensed (3.5 cu.ft. per passenger (0.09m3 or 100 litres)
- Carry a first aid kit and fire extinguisher
- Meet age criteria
- Rear tinted windows must be no darker than legally permitted front side tinted windows
Booking an Appointment to Licence a VehicleOnce you are ready to licence your vehicle and you are satisfied that it meets our requirements you should contact us on 01424 787550 to book an appointment to see a Licensing Officer. You will need the following information when you contact us:
- Are you licensing a Hackney Carriage/ Private Hire Vehicle?
- The vehicle registration number
- The make, colour and model
- The number of passengers to be licensed
Vehicle Licensing AppointmentYou will then need the following to your appointment:
- Our Vehicle licence application form
- Have a valid insurance certificate for the carriage of passengers for hire and reward, either by “Public Hire” (Hackney Carriage) or “Private Hire” (Private Hire)
- Vehicle Compliance Test (VCT) certificate and inspection. See our Vehicle Compliance Testing Page for more information.
- V5C vehicle document
- Make a payment for the vehicle licence
Vehicle Licence PlatesOnce the documentation has been checked, payment received and the vehicle inspected, the vehicle licence plates will be prepared.
- The internal (small) plate must be displayed inside the vehicle in a position where it can be seen from inside and outside the vehicle.
- The external (large) plate must be affixed to the outside rear of the vehicle.
- The two door badges must be affixed to the top half of the rear doors.