What do we do?
- Licence most animal welfare, breeding and boarding establishments. Details of how to apply for a licence can be found in our Animal Services Licensing section.
- Co-ordinate our work with the RSPCA and other animal rescue organisations when appropriate talk to schools and local organisations on animal welfare issues
- Promote responsible pet ownership
- Investigate complaints about dogs that are aggressive towards members of the public (working with the Sussex Police) providing advice and help where we can
- Advise on micro-chipping, spaying and neutering and run local campaigns on these issues
We have also produced specific advice on the following topics:
Tips from our Animal Welfare Licensing Officer.
What to do if your cat or dog is lost or if you find a stray.
Your responsibilities under the law.
Advice for owners and those worried about a dangerous dog.
How to make sure your dog does not cause nuisance to others.
Advice on these wild birds.
Information on who to contact if you are having problems with foxes.
We carry out surveys and consultations with our customers to help us to improve the service we offer and allow us to measure efficiency and the level of staff performance.