Wealden District Council
You are using an unsupported version of Internet Explorer.
Parts of our website may display incorrectly or not work at all. Please consider downloading an up to date browser such as Chrome or Firefox.

Apply for a new premises licence

To sell or supply alcohol, to provide regulated entertainment or to provide late-night refreshments you need to be licensed by your Local Authority.

To apply for a premises licence you must be over 18 years of age.

If you would like advice or guidance before applying please contact the licensing team.

How to apply

You will need to make an application to the Licensing Authority for the area where the premises are located.

You will need to pay the relevant Premises Application Fee along with your application. This is based on the rateable value of your premises. To check the non-domestic rateable value go to Business Rates Valuation.

You can apply for premises licence online here:

Apply online for a premises licence

You can also download our paper application which can be posted to the address below or emailed to us at: licensing@rother.gov.uk

Download a Premises Licence application form

You can also apply via the .gov.uk website (this service may be unavailable after March 2023) at: Apply online to Gov.uk for a Premises Licence

You will need to make an application to the Licensing Authority for the area where the premises are located.

When completing the application will need to include details of:

  • The licensable activities and what times these activities will take place
  • Any other times when the premises will be open to the public
  • In the case of applicants who wish to have a limited licence, the period the licence is required for
  • Whether any alcohol that is to be sold is for consumption on or off the premises or both
  • The steps proposed to be taken to promote the licensing objectives.
  • You will need to prove your right to work in the UK. You must either provide acceptable documentation or visit the Home Office Online Right to Work Checking Service and generate a 9 digit share code which will allow us to carry out the check.
  • You will also need to provide a plan of the premises, which must be in a specified format, for further information see our premises plans advice sheet.
  • If the application is for the sale of alcohol you will need to download and complete a Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS) Consent form or you can complete the DPS Consent form Online. The DPS must hold a personal licence.
  • You will be required to advertise your application as a public notices and an advert in a local newspaper. For more information on how to do this please visit our Advertising Applications page.
  • You are also required to provide copies of their application to the  Responsible Authorities. If you have applied online via the .gov.uk website you do not need to send additional copies of your application to the relevant authorities.

After you have applied

Representations and Licensing Hearing and Reviews

The Licensing Authority must grant the application unless “relevant” representations (ie representations that were not deemed frivolous or vexatious) against the grant of the licence have been received.

You will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the Local Authority by the end of the target completion period. For Wealden District Council the target completion period for a Premises Licence is 30 calendar days from receipt of the application.

A Hearing must be held where “relevant” representations are made in respect of the application.

If a Hearing is held the Licence can be granted; or granted subject to additional conditions. Licensable activities listed in the application can be excluded or the application can be rejected.

The Licensing Authority will serve a notice of its decision on the applicant, any person who has made “relevant” representations and the Chief Officer of Police.

Regulation summary

Applicants are encouraged to consider the Council’s Statement of Licensing Policy and HM Government’s Guidance published under section 182 of the act when preparing their operating schedule and the steps they propose to take to promote the licensing objectives.

You can see a Summary of the Licensing Act 2003 at the gov.uk website.

Trade associations

You may find the following organisations useful: