Wealden District Council
You are using an unsupported version of Internet Explorer.
Parts of our website may display incorrectly or not work at all. Please consider downloading an up to date browser such as Chrome or Firefox.

I’m a Tenant

Introductory Tenancies

If you have been given an introductory tenancy you will be visited by your Housing Officer at 6 and 39 weeks after the start of your tenancy. You will be sent appointments for both of these meetings and you must be at home for them or call us to re-arrange if the day/time isn’t convenient. You must have these two meetings otherwise your probationary period might be extended.

Contents Insurance

The Council does insure the building but you must take out contents insurance to protect your personal belongings. Find out about the low-cost insurance scheme available to tenants in our frequently asked questions about Tenancies.

Street Learning

Check out our Street Learning project which provides free training in Wealden on a range of subjects including IT, yoga, cooking, arts and crafts and much more at local venues.

Being kept informed

Please ensure that we have the most up-to-date email address for you, if you have one. We send tenants a monthly e-update.

The Council produces a monthly emailed newsletter and a Threshold publication which is sent out twice yearly and sent to all tenants twice a year.
The Housing Service regularly posts updates, news and information on our social media accounts so follow us on  Facebook ,  Twitter, and sign up to the our Wealden Weekly email, providing details of your refuse and recycling collections, nearby planning applications and news and information about local events and Council services.

Access to Information

You can access information about your tenancy such as your rent balance, information on repairs and more by registering for an account in My Wealden and going to Housing Accounts.

Data Sharing

To find out how we use your data which was collected at sign-up of your council tenancy view our privacy notice. New tenancies created after 25 May 2018 have been asked to consent to us sharing your data through a system known as CORE.

Here you will find lots of useful information about being a council tenant and living in your council home.

Antisocial Behaviour

This details what Anti Social Behaviour is, how to report it and the Council’s approach to dealing with it.

Buying My Home – Right To Buy

For details on the current right to buy scheme.

Contacting My Housing Officer

How to contact my housing officer.

Disabled Adaptations in a Council Property

If you require adaptations to your council property here you can find out about the assessment and process for having works carried out.

Domestic Abuse

Advice on the services available if you or someone you know are experiencing domestic.

Energy Efficiency

Advice and information on energy efficiency solutions for your home including information on the Winter Home Check service.

Fire Safety

Advice and information on fire safety. Including a video showing you the different sounds of your heat and carbon monoxide detectors so you know what action to take.

Getting Involved

Information on my local resident groups and how to get involved in my local community.

Moving On / Ending your Tenancy

Details on giving up my tenancy and moving to another home (mutual exchanges and transfers).

My Estate

Information on maintaining my estate including grounds maintenance, communal cleaning and estate walkabouts.

My Tenancy

Information on different types of tenancies offered by the council and associated rights and responsibilities.

Opportunities & Skills and Financial Advice

Details on initiatives such as Street Learning, advice and support to find employment as well as budgeting and much more.

Paying My Rent And Service Charges

Information on how to pay my rent and service charges as well as what happens if I am having difficulties paying.

Regulation of Social Landlords

Find out how landlords such as the council are regulated.

Renting a Council Garage

Advice on renting a council garage.

Repairs, Maintenance and Improvement Works

Details on reporting a repair, what repairs I am responsible for and much more as well as how the council maintains and improves properties.

Retirement Living

For information on properties designed for people aged 60 or over available from the council.

Support Services

Details what housing related support services are available.

Tenant Guide

The guide tells you everything that you need to know about living in your council home including:

If you live in temporary accommodation you need to read the Temporary accommodation guide